God Help the Girl (2014)

23:56 Unknown 2 Comments

Been hearing about this movie for quite a bit now, from one person then another and so on. So, naturally, I had it put down somewhere at the back of my head, when some chain of actions and  coincidences lead me to finally watching it.


Plot: One disturbed girl, Eva, starts writing songs while in rehab, but sort of breaks free, when she meets James an Cassie. They share a love for music, so they dream of starting a band together.

Actors: One, the main point why I dig up this movie from the back of the drawer was Olly Alexander. Who, you may ask. The lovely actor who plays James, is actually a lead singer of "Years & Years", my newly musical obsession. Honestly, they are so good, and their music gives me chills. Ok, the rest of the cast - Emily Browning. She will FOREVER be Violet Baudelaire from Lemony Snicket's series of unfortunate events (and we shall forget other awful roles she took, like "Sleeping beauty" etc). Then there's Hannah Murray. Let me tell you, that I just can't stand the girl. I don't know why, but the moment she started singing, I wanted to shut down the video, burn it down and never mention it again. But, there was another sunshine in this movie - Pierre Boulanger. Just google his gorgeous French face. I remember his from another God's awful movie "Monte Carlo"with Selena Gomez. Again, he was the best thing there. 



Songs. Yes, it was a musical. Not that I hate musicals, but this one I did. Songs were different, I give you that, but that didn't click with me. I wouldn't buy an album of songs like that. There were literally songs about tree, song about window, of just walking the dogs, getting down with some random girl (that scene was wtf? who wrote this thing??) I know they wanted it to sound super hipster and hip or whatever, but I think that was just an opportunity missed. I'd rather listen to Y&Y songs no stop. 

Writing and directing: This was the first written and directed piece by some Stuart Murdoch person. And.... I think it needed some more work done. Like, making Eva's person the main was a bit weird. She's desperate, sad, and just overly bad written. I'd like to see more of her past, to see her motives and such. I very much preferred Olly's character. He was happy, easily amused and so full of life. And we even know more of a back story in his case. Directing was weird too. Some very very unflattering shots with weird angles. 

IMDB grants this 6.4. I think it was about 4 at least. I honestly thought of dropping it in the middle, and that is never a good sign. God help you all to get thought this movie till the end. 


... and a little Pierre Boulanger to make this post better. 




2 comments:

  1. Oh... I did liked this movies so much! Im sorry you didnt. I guess, maybe it has to be with the fact that I kinda enjoy Belle and Sebastian, the band of the writer and director (who, also made a proyect named like the movie and composed all the songs).
    I didnt liked Hanna Murray either... I mean, I even find her a bit anoying in Game of thrones... :D
    But I did loved Emily Browning. She has a great voice and I think her character was... Well, correctly written for someone with an eating disorder and depression who also happens to depend on other people for things. But I would have liked if we knew why she run away from her family...
    I agree with the boys. Have never listen to Years & Years but I will now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am glad we agree on some points ;D
    You should DEFINITELY check Y&Y! They are amazing! ♥

    ReplyDelete