Before Midnight (2013)

23:39 Unknown 0 Comments

Finally, the 3rd and last (?) part of "The Before Trilogy". It was... very much different, but at the same time, it had slightly the same feeling. I have very mixed feelings about this one. Another Oscar nominee for the Best Adaptive Screenplay (again.)



Plot: We are thrown back into the life of Jesse and Celine after another 9 years. We share another day with them, this time in Greece. 

Thoughts: In my previous posts, I wrote that the end of the seconds movie was very ambiguous, that the audience was left with the questions "did Jesse catches his plane?", "did they hook up again?". So, the two possible outcomes, right? And this movie, immediately states, that yes, Jesse did miss his plane, and yes, they did hook up. This time for real. So, they are together, with cute twin girls, having a long vacation in Greece. What was different -- well, they didn't had any catching up to do. They've been together for 9 years. This movie had a lot more characters. It had like five major scenes (airport, scene in the car, the dinner scene, the walk to the hotel, and the hotel room). All huge and masterfully done. With minimal or any cuts. Just masterfully done. The movie had a lot more fighting scenes, just very raw and real emotions and just  feeling or a true love. Not romantic or fairy-tale like, but after all these years together, they managed to tolerate and truly love one-another.  


What I liked: After all three movies, all together, I'm amazed that even though this movie lacks events, major breakpoints or even basic action whatsoever, it is really intriguing and captivating. You don't even feel the time, I mean one scene is 10 minutes, other 20 minutes, the last probably all 30 minutes. I don't know, it was that good. It gets more and more mature with every movie. And that is beautiful. So unique. After almost 20 years in these characters life, you never know what to expect from the, You don't know how their brain is working and what they gonna say, to trigger one-another. 
I was surprised to find out, that every dialogue scene was scripted and nothing was improvised. Heavily rehearsed even. I mean, it felt so real and raw, as I said. That is truly masterful work by everyone on the set. The script, the writing is just genius. Sharp, bitter, humorous and just so real. Ahh, script so good, they didn't even had to improvise. 

What I didn't like: The way they ended all the story. I don't know, felt kind of... disappointing. Like bad after-taste in your mouth. Something you want to shake off. I mean, they are fighting, they say stuff they probably don't mean to, and for the sake of being together, they make up, but that's what felt bad for me. But when you think of it, the ending, again, was a bit ambiguous, and who knows (but I do hope) for another movie, maybe, I don't know, 9 years later? 


8,0 from IMDB. I'm still in doubts, whether this was the best movie out of all three? It was more mature, that also means better acting, writing, well, better everything. I'm glad Richard Linklater did this, it is a huge part of our modern cinema and I highly recommend movies like these three.  

0 komentarai (-ų):