Suicide Kings (1997)

17:58 Unknown 0 Comments

Ok, kicking off next with a little older entry, stopping by to the late 90st, when this kind of movie was nothing unusual. I mean, there was a trend in 90st - big ransom, kidnapping movie, with bunch of suspects and unusual twists. Speaking of it, this is that kind of movie.


Plot: Five friends kidnaps a major mafia figure, so that he could help them. See someone kidnaps a sister of one of those guys and they just need little guidance what to do, how to outsmart other kidnappers. But what if someone from the mighty five is a rat? 

Thoughts: This is sort of bottle-episode thingie they do on tv so often now. You let all these suspects in one room and by playing your cards right, you might find out who the rat is. See there's a brother, a boyfriend, a soon-to-be-doctor, who might help with Charlie's (the kidnapped mafia boss) health, a guy who owns the house where they hold the kidnapee, and a guy who's just very passionate about all this mafia stuff. They all more or less had a motive to kidnap a girl, so here comes  great character development action. The brother, Avery, who seems so anxious and devastated by the condition of his kidnapped sister and the whole situation, the boyfriend, Max,who seems way too distant and uninterested by what is happening, the soon-to-be doctor, T.K, who sometimes seem like just a observer, the guy who owns the house, Ira, is way too panicking, by everything, especially by the house (I mean there's some mud on the rug, some blood here and there, who's gonna clean afterwards and so on) and finally, Brett, just a control freak, wanting to chop off someone's finger just for the sake of it. 
All in all, that was one big of a mess movie. Full with great performances, witty dialogue and suspension that would keep you till the very end. 



Actors: a big name like is Christopher Walken is enough to get your attention. He gives a phenomenal performance, even thought, the whole time he is tided up to a chair. I really like Johnny Galecki, also known for his of Leonard in "The Big Bang Theory". Oh and I feel like mentioning Sean Patrick Flanery, who plays Max, just because he looked like young Peter Sarsgaard. Oh my god do I have a thing for Peter. Goooosh. Just watch "An Education" and if you don't fall in love with Peter Sarsgaard, what is wrong with you?? (My god, this made my want to watch Än Education"again ;S) 

What I liked: I loved how 90st this movie felt. I mean I love everything about 90st, the music, literature, movies. Not fashion tho, it was awful back then. Anyway, I also loved the bottle-episode style they used. I loved the charismatic characters, with "layers and colours", with their own thoughts and developments, inner dialogues and distinctive features. There are quite a bunch of characters and none are plain or boring. It is so rare in movies these days, I really miss that. Like, you are writing your characters, right, so sit down, think about his past, about what your character likes and dislikes, what are his dreams and aspirations. You know, things like that. 
I loved the use of foreshadowing, if you are quick enough to catch a phase here, a look over there, a gesture here and there, you are good to go. 


What I didn't like: I'll repeat it again, it was a mess. I mean, I like it when movie gets complicated and twisted and all, but this is just a mess. They kidnapped this guys, because somebody kidnapped a girl, so the kidnapee send some to kidnap the kidnappers and at the end - nobody gets hurt. Oh and the fact that none of the five guys had any idea what they were doing, it was chaotic. 

The tittle: Ok, you might have guessed it - cards. I'm not a big card player myself, but I do know how to play poker. The Suicide King is quite simple. You shuffle the cards, pass some to other players and leave the rest of the cards on the table. Everyone has to draw a card from the deck and whoever gets the King of Hearts aka Suicide King, well you guessed it - looses. Much like the game, the characters of this movie, one by one, cracks and we're left with the last player, who eventually did the kidnapping. Easy. Oh, I have to give it to the movie director, it is one classy tittle for a movie. 

IMDB gave this 7.0, I don't know, once the events sink in, you think that it was pretty damn good movie. Though it felt like an early 90st rather that late 90st. I loved the character, plot a little less, but overall, I'd say it was worth 7.2 at least.  
  

0 komentarai (-ų):