12 Monkeys (1995)

20:49 Unknown 0 Comments

I had this movie in my so called collection forever. But I never seemed to find time to actually sit down and watch. I mean, I love science fiction and all, just didn't seem appealing.


Plot: Some unknown virus has killed entire population, with only 1% survivors that now lives underground. World is dominated by animals again. A convict played by Bruce Willis is sent back to 1996, to gather information about the virus, so the scientist in the future can study it. Sadly, he is sent back to 1990, where he is put into mental institution. 

Actors: Great assembly is called. Bruce Willis was a bit flat for my taste (except for one scene where he hears music on the radio, then he was genuinely happy and it reflected), but, for example, Brad Pitt was right on top. He is an amazing actor, and he just proves it with every role he takes.  



Thoughts: First of all, how amazing is that logo? SO COOL. I've been staring at it forever and still can't comprehend how much I like it! Also something stuck with me after I finished watching the movie -- the constant perception of hoax. Everything was hoax - the report about little boy stuck in a well turned out to be hoax, the army of 12 monkeys eventually turned out to be hoax as well. So it made me think, if the whole future wasn't a hoax as well? 

What I liked: I'm just a sucker for time-travel stuff. Don't ask me about Doctor Who, I mean that show is my life. If time travel would be possible now, I'd be the first in line.
I loved Brad Pitt's performance. Holly shit that dude can act! Fun fact, he received and Oscar nomination for this movie, well deserved!
Also loved that at one point in the movie, characters went to the cinema and there where Hitchcock movie marathon, scenes from Vertigo and such. Vertigo is such a classy fucked up movie, I rejoiced! 
Oh, and I love this fact from back stage -- the director, Terry Gillian, gave a list to Bruce Willis titled "Things Bruce Willis does when he is acting" and the list ended with a note "please don't do any of the above in my movie". 



What I didn't like: How cheap the whole movie and production felt. And it fact, the whole production lacked funding, some actors didn't get paid at all (it is said that was due a chance to work with Terry Gillian, the director). For a massive movie like that, I would wanted to have at least decent looking.. everything. 

IMDB ratting - 8.1. Kinda cool, brilliant story, even more brilliant performances (by some). Also I love the fact, that there is a new tv show build around this movie. Not sure, if I'm gonna watch it, I just appreciate the fact. 



0 komentarai (-ų):