We Need to Talk about Kevin (2011)

21:37 Unknown 0 Comments

Another movie from 2011 that I missed at that time, but was always kind of curious about. Tilda Swanson is just God-like, Ezra Miller is, you know, hot, and this movie seemed like an extraordinary experience.


Ok, first of all, all the posters I've seen for this movie, made it look like a horror flick. A mystery at least. This one above makes me think of "The Grudge", the movie I was very disappointed with. Maybe that's why it took me so long to watch this one. Spoilers ahead. 

The plot: Mother-and-son relationship: he's very weird and she struggles to love him (I mean he's her kid and parents must love their offsprings, right?), to understand him and to justify his actions. No mystery or horror here, Sorry. 

Actors: As I said before, Tilda Swanson is just Goddess and Ezra Miller is hot. John C. Reilley is always "alright" for me. I was really impressed with actor who played young Kevin -Jasper Newell -- he looked like young Miller indeed, so kudos for the casting department. 



What I liked: I liked that the story was told backwards. Beginning from "that events" and going on-wards, revisiting important episodes during flashbacks. It's like, the main character, Eva, was searching her memory for that one thing, that triggered her son to do one thing or another. Also, an archery is not your usual child-hobby, so that was refreshing. Fun fact: red, blue, yellow and white, the colours of the target, were visible in every shot of the movie. It's kind of hard to notice, I mean it would be a lot easier if it was only one colour. But I'm glad the whole movie was not, say, yellow. 
I liked the happy scenes from Spain. My personal preferables and memories from when I was living there. 

What I didn't like: Oh my... ok. I didn't like the soundtrack. It was far too happy and uplifting for this kind of movie. It might be done to create the right mood or insist how the audience should feel, but it bothered me the whole time. When the soundtrack is good, you either don't hear it, cuz it blends in perfectly, or it gives you chills, creeps and etc, or in other words, it makes you feel something. In this case I felt annoyed. 
Again, children who are far too smart for their age, just gets under my skin. Just no. I didn't get what was Kevin's problem? You hate your mom? Why? Ok, maybe the kid was an accident, not planned, but still, Eva didn't gave up on him. She raised him, gave everything he needed, tried to make peace with him. And Kevin. Well, lets just say that he wore diapers till like age 9??? That's just to piss his mother off. But really, wtf? 
The kid obviously has issues, and it bothers me, that they only scratched the surface of it. Did he had a condition? Was his behavior it intentional? Someone please explain it from Kevin's point of view. We've had enough of victims testimony. I need to get into the head of the killer. YES.
Oh, and I really really wanted to see that mass-shouting scene. :( 



The tittle: This one's pretty obvious. The problem child, mother needs help. Rosemary's baby, anyone? No, he's not obsessed, just troubled. Deep, deep issues that kid had.  

IMDB gave it 7,5 rating and I think it's fair enough. I kinda expected more of it, I was left disappointed a bit. So, don't get your hopes up for a twist at the end or for  your questions to be answered. It's just a story being told. No further explanation. Even at the end of the movie, Eva asks Kevin "Why?", and he just goes "idk"... Could've given me a chichie quote of some Renascence author that totally makes no sense to what had happened, and I'd still be happier with that. 


0 komentarai (-ų):