Reality Bites (1994)

23:05 Unknown 0 Comments

Another entry from 90st, that is basically known for its excellent soundtrack (even Tarantino had to fight for a song that eventually ended up on this movie, that says a lot). Even if you read this movies trivia on IMDB, every other entry talks about the songs features in this movie. That is always a plus.


Plot: Lelaina, after her graduation, pursues her hobby of film-making, job-search and complicated relationships with people close to her. 

Thoughts: That description of a plot sounds so plain and boring, I know. It's not much to explore here, really. The beauty of this kind of movie is, I'd say, the self exploration. It's full of ideas, witty dialogue. Though I expected more, you know, "what to do with my life" kind of exploration, the meaning of live, the joy of living in a moment and such. You know that void in your whole existence after you finish something in your life-- school, collage,, or when you get a job, start a family... and then there's the question - "ok, I've done that. NOW WHAT?". You know, I expected that hard crap of what reality is and what it means, psychologically looking. But I get just complicated rom-com.



Actors: Ok, I adore Winona Ryder. She was the edgy cutie of 90st. So beautiful.  It's so funny to see young Ben Stiller (btw, he directed this movie), And I was amazed by the performance of Ethan Hawke. So amazed I'm even looking for more of his movies to watch., so look out. 

What I liked: I love quotable movies. This one is packedwith quotes . Here's one -- (I actually had more, that struck while watching the movie, but I can't find them now)
There's no point to any of this. It's all just a... a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes. So I take pleasure in the details. You know... a Quarter-Pounder with cheese, those are good, the sky about ten minutes before it starts to rain, the moment where your laughter become a cackle... 
I loved characters. I think I might explore them a bit more:

Lelaina: Played by lovely Winona. Stubborn, naive and self absolve. I loved how her character was described in a movie by other character. It was "Your bradavos is embarrassing". Like, she tries to be rebel so bad, it seems like she's doing it for the sake of doing, can't step out of her comfort zone and just let it go. Or she lets it go too much. Either way, she smokes too much and she relies on others too much. 


Troy: Played by the amazing Ethan Hawke. Now that's what I call free spirit. He's a self proclaimed philosopher, with lots to say. He is  best friend on Lelaina and you can clearly see that he's head first deep in love with her. His exterior is though, cuz he's "so cool", but once in while, he shows his sensitive and vulnerable side, which is beautiful. I mean, my best friends have always been boys, I don't think I ever had  best friend of my own gender, and yeah, there are some point the the friendship when you think "what if?". Again, as it was said in movie "Sex is a fastest way to ruin a friendship".  

What I didn't like: I missed the lack of process. Lack of development of the story. I didn't necessarily had to have some action, just some outcome would be nice. Also, as I said before, the title was misleading and I kind of wanted some internal existence drama. 

IMDB gave this 6,6, but honestly, in my book it's a solid 7,5. Simply told complicated story of relationships, relatable situations, loats of sweet and touching moments, as well as rough and devastating. Good movie overall. 


0 komentarai (-ų):