Misery (1990)

23:27 Unknown 0 Comments

Sorry for being a bit delayed, after that The X Files movie, my everlasting love for the show was revived, so I spend most of the time being caught up with season 6. And some medicare films that doesn't need any attention (eheh Wonder-lust...ehem).


Plot: One famous writer, Paul Sheldon, gets into nasty snowstorm on his way to show his newest book to his publicist. He was rescued barely alive by his number one fan - Annie Wilkes. She used to be a nurse, so she saves him, nurtured him, until the snowstorm ends, so she can take him to the hospital. She stumbles across the new book, ask to read it and... she hates the ending. Her favourite character in the book, called Misery, dies in the childbirth. Annie is furious, she burns the book and demands Paul to write a new book, where Misery is alive. 

Writing and directing: Ok, this piece was written by Stephen King. Well, book was. Now you know,  I respect Mr. King, since he has done a looooot, but I was never a fan. I tried reading his books once, but man oh man, something wasn't right. I dunno, it didn't click for me. Same with movies based on his books. I watched "Shinning" just because of its cult status and "Carrie" was just a mess. Even the praised "Shawshanks Redemption". Oh, tho I have one exception - "1408" movie. That one was gooood. 
I was surprised, that movie was directed by Rob Reiner. I mean, the guy is known for his romantic movies - "The Princes Bride" and obviously "When Harry met Sally...", or if you still don't know him, he played Jessie's father on "New Girl" series. 



Title: I love how ambiguous it is! One, of course, it is the name of Annie's favourite character, and seconds, it was the constant state of Paul Sheldon, being held prisoner in Annie's house. 

What I loved: Kathy Bates' performance was so on point! No wonder she won an Oscar for it. Brilliant. I loved how she was totally calm one minute and then total psycho the next. Even the King was so impressed with her, he wrote to more books with Bates in mind. Now that's talent.
Also I loved, how, again, ambiguous the atmosphere of the movie was. It started of with upbeat romantic music, creating the atmosphere of fun and light movie. Also the sights, bright colours, Annie's lovely house - you wouldn't except it to end so gory. Don't get me wrong - I love it gory. 


What I didn't like: It was a bit slow, and by slow I mean, Paul spend a lot of time in that cabin of Annie's, but we never really know how much. It was mentioned at one point, that it was weeks, but it felt more. Years even. 
Also, these kind of obsessive movies, really makes me think of those people who claim to be someone's "Number One fan". What would they do, if, say, Harry Styles stumbles across them. Would they let him go? 

MDB rating is 7,8. Well... I think it deserves more than that, 8,2 atleast. Cuz honestly, it had its moments. Like for that part, that you can see picture above. Uuuuh, chills. 


 


0 komentarai (-ų):