Gattaca (1997)

23:24 Unknown 0 Comments

I'm on a holiday, yay - that means I have plenty of time to watch as much movies as I want! It's only appropriate for the weather we're having - rainy and very much windy. Tho, I've seen a lot during this past week, not much really stood out (tho "Mad Max: Fury Road" was amazing, I feel as I don't really have much to say about it, other then it was a bloody amazing) until I saw this gem.


Plot: Not so distant future - everything is gene driven. Genetically "wrong" Vincent always had a dream to go to space. So he pretends to be Jerome, a genetically perfect person to pursue his dream.

Actors:  I already expressed my admiration to Ethan Hawke, so I'm just gonna repeat myself - he's one bloody good actor. Uma Thurman is gorgeous (no wonder these two became a couple after this movie). Jude Law and Loren Dean gets an honorable mentions. 


What I liked: Ok, maybe you've heard this one before, but it is believed to be the most accurate Sci-fi movie ever made. The GMO and other gene mutations - movie suggest that you can create a perfect human being, parents just have to chose best genes for their child. 
Oh, and look at those stairs - even they are DNA-shaped. Neet.
Movie had some really really good scenes - like the one, where Vincent blows cigarette smokes into the glass, in order to answer a question "What Titan's like?" (Titan's a satellite of Saturn, the place where Vincent is going for a year). Brilliant and beautiful! 
I loved the references throughout the whole movie. The hair-pulling and  the recurring water themes.

What I didn't like: No, movie was brilliant, I have no comments. 


Thoughts: The reason, why I selected to talk about this movie amongs the others I saw this week, was because it made me think about the future. And no, I don't see a problem with gene selection, That might be a good thing (let me know that you think.. maybe?). 
The people, shown in the movie were very picky about the genes. Obsessed even. It's like the new kind of discrimination. The right ones, the wrongs ones... It seemed, if you were naturally born (your parents didn't choose any genes for you. You were just received the good old fashioned way) the only purpose in life for you was to be a janitor. That's a bit wrong don't you think? 
And what shocked me the most was that no one, I mean literally no one, cared what you looked like. Vincent (Ethan Hawke) had Jerome's (Jude Law) face show up in every ID picture. And no one seemed to notice that it's a totally different person. They don't even look alike. Same with others. Vincent didn't even recognize his own brother and father, when they always been around. It seems that the only way to know someone is to pull one's hair and take it to the lab to analyze. The movie suggest that this kind of hair-pulling is going to be the new dating thing in the future. That is just... wrong. 


I want to give this movie 8. Maybe 8 and a half, cuz it really touched me, made me think. Those are good kind of movies. IMDB ratting 7.8. And one Oscar nomination. And also NASA approve. And Hawke-Thurman marriage. So..  yeah :) 

0 komentarai (-ų):